Thursday, August 23, 2012

Banned From Belmont Shore

So, if you get too rowdy while doing your drinking in the posh and shiny Belmont Shore zone, you can expect to get the boot for a few years. Andrew Zea, 24, found himself in trouble with the law while drunk enough times to get banned from the whole area for three years as part of his probation.

I do like to wet the whistle from time, and I love Long Beach, but I never casually drink or casually get drunk (as is my occasional wont) in the Shore 'hood for a few reasons.

The first is that it reminds me too much of Higuera St in San Luis Obispo, my college town. Having lived in New York City since going to college, I have to say that I prefer a more urban city design, and that's precisely what we get over on the west side of town. Also, it's real, how do I say this, sanitary, just like Higuera St. I don't you can eat off the sidewalk, or anything, just that it feels like it's trying to look hip and clean and fakely manicured. That's my problem, I understand, but I appreciate the grit of the west side of town. It's too easy. There's no thugs.

The second is that, since I live on the west side of town, it's too far to drink at regularly, especially with five bars withing walking distance. I have taken friends and visitors on a beach bike ride, explored the Shore, then stopped for an alcohol refreshment before heading back, but that's about it.

I do, though, have a regular reason to visit Belmont Shore, and that's an establishment on the corner of LaVerne and 2nd: Fromex. I'm an amateur photographer, even more amateur than my wife, but they're the only place I feel safe riding my bike to that sell and develop 120 roll film. The other place, Tuttle's Cameras, treats me better as a person and customer, but riding up Atlantic all the way from the Ocean to Bixby Knolls isn't my cup of tea.

I think if you've had enough run-ins with the police that you get your ass banned from an entire business district, then you have a problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment